What should I read as a Communication and/or PR person?
Lots of people keep asking me the same question: what should they read? when? how?
At the end of the day, it just depends on what your interests are and which is the field that you work with most of the time, of course. I will keep this list short and speak only about general things and what I read to keep up with what’s going on around the world (beside the sad #brexitvote).
My feedly has exactly 10 content categories, so I will shortly mention a few media pages for each of them:
- Culture (artparasites, transartists, culture360, artshow, resartis, etc)
- PR, Marketing & co (copyblogger, the hubspot, moz blog, etc)
- Tech (150sec, techcrunch, engadget, the official google blog, wired, ars technica)
- Education (dangerously irrelevant, NYT>education, TED-ed)
- entrepreneurship (150sec.com, entrepreneur, venturebeat, forbes, influencers in the industry and lots more links if you just check “startups” on your search engine)
- Global (The New Yorker, NYT, Monocle, BBC, LinkedIN Pulse)
- street fashion (well, I’m a girl :) streetgeist, hel looks, eat.sleep.wear, easy fashion, nz street style, styleclicker, street peeper)
- inbound marketing (the hubspot (again), inboundmarketing.com, annielytics, portent, search engine land, builtvisible)
- [ro] adv, PR, social media & co (since I am a romanian, I also follow what happens around. The main media that I check on these topics are IAA Romania, IQads, RomanianCopywriter, Smark, B2bStrategy, PR Romania)
- Roviste (romanian online magazines focused on cultural and social stuff: DoR, Scena9, Sub25, The Chronicle, Vice)
- word gang
- free thinking
- the story collider
- slate’s culture gabfest
- stuff you should know
- 99% invisible
Also, I use twitter and facebook a lot to follow some fellows like: google, google trends, airlines, hiive, museums, NYT, The New Yorker, artists, bloggers and some of the ones mentioned above. Not everything is communication and PR related, but one has to be up to date with a bit of everything.
This is pretty much it. If you have any recommendations, shoot. If not, click heart!